Penne Alla Vodka
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Category: pasta
- Method: simmering
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 box of penne pasta (I used Jovial Brown Rice Pasta)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup vodka (I used Tito's Handmade Vodka)
- 1-18 ounce jar of crushed tomatoes (I used Jovial)
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, plus more if needed
- ⅓ cup cashew cream
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- In a large saucepan heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add onions, garlic and a pinch of salt. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until onions are translucent and soft.
- Carefully pour in vodka and simmer for 5 minutes to cook down the liquor.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While sauce is simmering, prepare the cashew cream. In a high speed blender add cashews, water, and salt. Blend on high for 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy. (It will make 2 cups of cream so use the rest to add into your coffee, matcha lattes, or smoothies.)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Strain, drizzle with olive oil and set aside.
- Stir in ⅓ cup cashew cream to the sauce and simmer for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add cooked pasta to the vodka sauce and mix until well incorporated. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Keywords: vodka sauce, penne alla vodka, creamy pasta sauce, dairy free pasta sauce
Leave a Reply