New Year's Black Eyed Pea Soup
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Seasonal
- 1 pound of bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon dry sage
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 carrot, trimmed and chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 sweet potato or 4 yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 5-6 cups of chicken bone broth
- 2- 15 ounce cans of black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more if needed
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large soup pot over medium heat add chopped bacon and cook until crispy. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with a paper towel, set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon grease.
- Add onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, sage, paprika, and a pinch of salt. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until onions are soft.
- Add carrots, celery, and potatoes. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes then pour in the broth and simmer for 25 minutes, until potatoes are for tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed, then add the black eyed peas, and frozen green beans. Cook for an additional 15 minutes and enjoy!
Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
Keywords: black eyed pea soup, New Year's tradition, gluten free soup, soup season
Leave a Reply